IN FAVOR OF NATIONAL ARMAMENT

President Eliot Says That Army and Navy Should be Most Efficient.

When questioned on the subject of an increase in our national armament, President Eliot said that he favored rational improvements in our army without increasing its size. "My opinion," declared President Eliot, "is that the army of the United States should be well maintained on its present scale; and that the navy should be gradually made the most effective possible in the light of naval experience in the present war; but that it should not be increased in size. I also think that the national government should secure a large stock of the best possible artillery of all sorts,--again the best in the light of this war's experience. I hope, too, that the several states will improve their present volunteer militia system. About what I understand to be General Leonard Wood's recommendation, that the term of enlistment in the regular army should be shortened to one year, or even six months, so that a large number of men would graduate from the army every year, to be held as a reserve, I am doubtful. The Swiss system of universal military service for a few weeks every year has some advantage over enlisting men for a year or six months in a regular standing army."