M. I. T. AGREEMENT ALTERED

RELATIONS MADE DEFINITE BY OVERSEERS.--7 PROFESSORS APPOINTED.

At a recent meeting of the Board of Overseers of the University the following elections and appointments were voted:

Professor E. C. Moore was elected Plummer Professor; Assistant Professor M. L. Fernald, Fisher Professor; Professor M. L. Wheeler, Dean of the Faculty of the Bussey Institution; Professor U. Hattori of the University of Tokyo, Professor of Japanase Literature and Life, the position now held by Professor Anesaki, to serve for one year from September 1, 1915. Assistant Professors E. E. Carter, W. C. Heilman, and R. T. Fisher were re-appointed to their respective positions for five years from September 1, 1915. E. B. Hill '14 was appointed Instructor in Music for three years after September 1, 1915, and Dr. R. I. Lee '01 was appointed a member of the committee on regulation of athletics.

It was further voted to adopt certain changes in the agreement between the University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The most important of these are: first, that students registered in professional courses at Technology which would lead to University degrees shall be eligible for those degrees provided they satisfy the conditions prescribed by the University, and they shall be entitled to the same rights as students in the Graduate Schools of the University; second, that the president of M. I. T. shall, in his position as head of all the work carried on under the agreement, be the agent of the University as well as of Technology. It was also decided to give, under the above-mentioned agreement, the following degrees:

(1) Bachelor of Science;

(2) Master of Science, the corresponding degrees in Mining and Metallurgy to be called "Mining Engineer" and "Metallurgical Engineer," respectively;

(3) Doctor of Engineering.

In the case of Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degrees, the special department shall be indicated on the diploma