UNIVERSITY UNIT TO SAIL SOON

Seventeen Members to Work in Paris Hospital for Three Months.

The University Unit for service at the American Ambulance Hospital in Paris will leave March 17 bound for Gibraltar and the war. This unit of 17 members will relieve the doctors and nurses from the Western Reserve Medical School of Cleveland, whose assignment closes on March 31. They have served three months, and the University group will work an equal time, till June 30. After that date the next quarter will be filled with a unit from the University of Chicago, the University of Pennsylvania, or Johns Hopkins.

The southern route to Paris was chosen in order to avoid trouble in the English channel and to facilitate the trip. Much depends upon the promptness of arrival of the men and women who are to go, for the work at the hospital must not be interrupted. The supply of wounded seems inexhaustible.

Dr. George W. Crile of the Western Reserve Medical School, who was in charge of the party from that institution and who has returned in advance of his group, has stated that the experience to be gained in the service is of remarkable value. Battle wounds and the nervous ailments caused by the ordeals at the front offer fields for investigation such as few surgeons are ever able to enter.

The men and women who leave next week go fundamentally to help in relieving the distress of the wounded but they also seek eagerly for the opportunity to learn from this school of experience. There are 450 beds in the hospital, of which 150 will be under the care of the University group. The other 300 beds are attended by local surgeons of Paris.

In charge of the University Unit will be H. Cushing '95, M.D., A.M., Moseley Professor of Surgery, as head surgeon, and R. B. Greenough '92, Assistant Professor of Surgery, as surgeon and executive office. Others as officially announced include R. P. Strong, Professor of Tropical Medicine, bacteriologist; R. B. Osgood, M.D. '99, Instructor in Orthopedics, orthopedic surgeon; B. Vincent '98, Assistant in Surgery, assistant surgeon; W. M. Boothby '02, Lecturer in Anaesthesia, anaesthetist; F. A. Coller '12, M.D., E. C. Cutler '13, M.D., P. D. Wilson, and M. N. Smith Peterson '14, M.D., resident surgeons; L. G. Barton, Jr., '12, M.D., surgical assistant; O. F. Rogers, Jr., '12, M.D., medical assistant; G. Benet '13, M.D., laboratory assistant; and Miss Edith I. Cox, Miss Geraldine K. Martin, Miss Helen Park, and Miss Marion Wilson, operating nurses.