BY PERSONAL INITIATIVE.

In a recent editorial the CRIMSON commented on the evidences of an increasing control and influence of the college authorities over the life of the average undergraduate. It was the opinion expressed at that time that in so far as this paternalism tended to soften the transition from school to college, or made it more likely that the average man would succeed--even at the possible expense of the single genius--the change was to be welcomed.

Perhaps the most important justification for a college education is that it does form the best transition from boyhood to manhood, that it gives opportunity for the growth of the maximum of responsibility with the minimum of risk. If, however, supervision on the part of the office is carried beyond a certain point, there is great danger that more harm than good will result. While possibly gaining from better direction of his activities, the undergraduate will inevitably lose in the larger and more vital matter of the development of individual responsibility and initiative.

At some time before he leaves college, every undergraduate should have progressed sufficiently away from the schoolboy stage to feel that he owes accountability in his work only to himself. At present such is far from being the case. As every great crisis is said to develop its own leaders, so the only way in which responsibility can be developed is to give opportunity for the exercise of responsibility. It is therefore proposed that the Office no longer keep the attendance of members of the two upper classes at any lectures or recitations. No single measure would do more to develop that feeling of personal obligation to the job which characterizes the graduate schools; or would better remove the perfunctory attitude towards college work and attendance at classes which at present characterizes a large portion of even the Senior class. The suggestion is one which has already met with the approval of several members of the Faculty. The system has long been in operation with men on the so-called Dean's List, men who are, however, least in need of more initiative. The change would in no way affect the work or requirements of any given course even in so far as a professor should consider it desirable to value attendance at lectures in the final grade. All probation requirements and regulations would also continue as at present.

In any question the very nature of which is one of long run influences and delicate adjustments, the effect of any single change is doubtless very difficult to estimate. But the plan of allowing Juniors and Seniors more freedom is at least worth serious trial.