SCORED REMARKABLE SUCCESS

MR. BARKER STAGED IMPRESSIVE AND TIMELY DRAMA BY EURIPIDES.

By W. H. M.

In these troubled days the production of one of the first "war plays" ever written, the "Trojan Women" of Euripides, is an especially timely one. Mr. Granville Barker, in his presentation of the great Euripidean drama, held in the Stadium yesterday afternoon, achieved a remarkable success. As Professor Gilbert Murray, the translator of the original text, says: "judged by common standards the 'Trojan Women' is far from a perfect play; it is scarcely even a good play," but it must be admitted that as a dramatic spectacle it is an impressive production. What little plot there is, is soon lost sight of and there only remains a vivid impression of situations frought with tenseness, and the sight of the women of fallen Troy, waiting in sorrow to hear their lot. At a time when a victory is won we look for the hymns of praise and the joy of the conquerors, but Euripides sees only the misery of the vanquished. For him the living drama lay in the tears of the conquered women and it is from them that he has named his play. Around them he has built up the action of the piece, setting forth the personalities of four heroic women: Hecuba, queen of Troy; Cassandra, her frenzied daughter; Andromache, wife of Hector; and lastly, the false Helen. Amidi the droning chants of the woeful choruses we see the suffering of these four. The scene in which Andromache played with spirit and sweetness by Miss Edith Wynne Matthison, parts from her little son Astyonax, is a dramatic episode of great power. Miss McCarthy as Hecuba is a stately queen and Chrystal Herne and Gladys Hanson are excellent in the roles of Cassandra and Helen of Troy. Mr. Barker has done much for the drama in his past productions and the University should be thankful for the opportunity it has had of seeing such plays as "Iphigenia in Tauris" and the "Trojan Women" presented in such a way.