EARLY COMMENCEMENT CUSTOMS

Characteristics of Former Graduation Days Elucidated.

Of the many University functions that have had interesting developments beginning with the founding of the College, Commencement Day stands well among the first. In the olden times that day was celebrated as a public holiday on which the Governor came in state from Boston and the people for miles around thronged in as to a country fair. Drunkenness was common, and as early as 1693 there were symptoms that Commencement Day was becoming a period of disturbing festivity. Accordingly in that year the Corporation voted certain restrictions and their action, coupled with the activity of President Quincy at the beginning of the 19th century contributed greatly to the removal of rowdyism and gambling on that day. The final act came in 1893 when the Corporation entirely banished all distilled liquors and laid down several general rules as to the proceedings of the celebration.

At the present time Commencement Day is an imposing if no longer hilarious academic festivity. In the morning the University is the host and the degrees are conferred in Sanders Theatre. The numerous candidates for degrees, all in caps and gowns assemble at different parts of the Yard under the direction of the University marshal and his aides. The President and Fellows receive the Governor and his staff who come out from Boston escorted by a body of citizen cavalry called the Lancers. Then a procession is formed and all march to Sanders Theatre where as many as possible crowd in. The meeting is called to order according to the ancient custom by the Sheriff of Middlesex County, who pounds on the floor with the scabbord of his sword and shouts, "Oyez, Oyez, Oyez"--the ancient form for calling a court to order. Then after the prayer the University Marshal calls on four or five candidates for degrees for their "parts." After a short intermission the degrees are confered by the President during a very impressive service.

In the afternoon the Alumni Association becomes the host of the President and the Fellows of the University. At 2 o'clock a parade is formed in the Yard according to classes, of which there are usually about 60 represented. As the procession passes by University Hall each class is cheered by a cluster of undergraduates which always assembles there. After the parade, an open air meeting is held behind Sever Hall at which the President and several other prominent men including the Governor speak. This meeting is usually finished about 4 o'clock and the program is over.