WORK FOR FUTURE TEACHERS

Degree of Master of Arts In Education Obviates Two Years of Practical Experience Teaching.

The Chairman of the Division of Education calls the attention of undergraduates who expect to teach to the following statement: The Division considers the minimum of technical training essential for secondary teaching to be Education A, 3b, and 9, and strongly recommends that 3b and 9 be made part of a year of graduate study for the degree of Master of Arts in Education. Course 9 cannot be taken without 3b, and the Division urges that no one enter 3b without having taken previously A, or one of the other introductory courses: 1, 5, 7, or 10. Course A taken in the Summer School will be accepted as equivalent to A in College, and 3b in the Summer School will be accepted for admission to 9. However Course 9 in the Summer School is not the same as 9 in the College as it does not include practice teaching and is intended only for experienced persons. Juniors intending to teach, whose course of study does not include training in Education are urged to consider the above statement in connection with possible work in the Summer School either in 1915 or 1916.

Advantages of M.A.

The degree of Master of Arts in Education enables a student to enter the Boston school system after one year of experience elsewhere. As the usual requirement of experience is three years, the degree of Master of Arts is thus accepted in lieu of two years of experience outside of the city. The degree is accepted in this way, however, only if the course pursued by the student includes certain studies specified by the Boston School Committee. The fields of study in which courses must be taken under this rule are Philosophy, Psychology, Economics, and Education. The work in Education must include practice teaching done in the graduate year.

Students who have pursued the course for the Master's degree may also enter the Boston schools without experience elsewhere, as teachers in training. The position of teacher in training leads, after two years, to a regular certificate. During the training years the teacher is under the supervision of the Department of Practice and Training in the Boston Schools. A strictly undergraduate program in Education, with allied courses in Philosophy and Psychology is accepted under the Boston rules in lieu of one year of experience.

Students who intend to teach should consult with the Chairman of the Division of Education early in their College course.