COLLEGE NEWSPAPERS ORGANIZE

Dailies and Weeklies Form Association to Secure Advertising

Tirty-eight of the daily, semi-weekly and weekly papers of the various colleges united this summer in forming the Associated College Newspapers Association which held its convention at the offices of the Columbia Spectator in New York in August. The object of this organization was to make a united and aggressive campaign for national advertising. It has been estimated that the circulation of the papers represented is over 100,000, but the majority of their advertising has come from local firms.

The members of the association also intend buying their supplies from a common stock which will then be distributed to the various papers. Furthermore offices are to be opened in New York and agents will be employed to obtain blanket advertising for all the papers from concerns which advertise nationally. Branch offices are later to be established in San Francisco and Chicago, and other points in the West which will act as distributing centres.

The CRIMSON has not thus far found it advisable to become a member of this organization.

Of the members of the class of 1914, 75 men chose business as a profession, 65, law, 39, medicine and 5 farming. Eighty-one were undecided and the remainder are in various smaller professions.