FUTURE OPPONENTS IN GOOD FORM ON SATURDAY

Teams Which Will Meet University Later in Season Showed Strength in First Games.

Of Harvard's future opponents who had games scheduled, Yale and Brown were the most successful. The former had no difficulty in defeating Maine 37 to 0 while Brown ran up 38 points against Rhode Island State. Neither Cornell nor Pennsylvania State had games scheduled Saturday. The other results were as follows:

Carlisle, 0; Lebanon College, 0.

U. of Virginia, 20; Randolph Macon, 0.

Princeton, 13; Georgetown, 0.

Brown, 38; Rhode. Island State, 0.

Yale, 37; Maine; 0.

Dartmouth, 13; Massachusetts Agricultural College, 0.

Although any forecast of the ultimate strength of the teams which Harvard must face this year is at this time bound to be premature, it is interesting, nevertheless, to survey the outcome of these opponents in their initial contests and to remark the significant points. Last year Harvard's opponents were uniformly successful in the corresponding opening games; this year, however, there were two reverses. The Massachusetts Agricultural College eleven, which the University team meets next Saturday succumbed to Dartmouth's more aggressive and cleaner playing to the score of 13 to 0. M. A. C. was constantly incurring penalties for off-side play, yet could not withstand the Hanover team's straightforward line-bucking tactics. The other setback was the scoreless the which was forced upon Carlisle by Lebanon Valley. Both teams were strong on the defense in this game, and both were most effective with wide end runs.

Yale Favors Passing Game.

Yale asserted its faith in the lateral passing game in its easy victory over Maine. Thompson, Yale's fast quarter-back, Scovil, Guernesy, and Captain Wilson figured again and again in successful double and triple lateral--passes, as well as in forwards. Scovil and Captain Wilson also pierced the opponents line at will on straight plunges. But one really weak point seemed present in the Yale defense, this being the end positions when the first string men had retired. In the last quarter Maine sent two long runs around Church and Blodgett who were playing these positions. In that period the Maine team outplayed their opponents and prevented them from scoring.

Coach Hinckey was not as lavish with substitutes as was Harvard, yet the presence of eight of these accounted for Yale's weakness in the fourth quarter.

Princeton's victory over Georgetown was won with the assistance of many expensive fumbles on the part of the visiting team. The punting of Driggs and the running of Ames and Moor for Princeton were important factors in the victory. A number of forward passes were also executed by the home team.

Coach Rush has had to contend with many misfortunes this year on account of illness and ineligibility. Tibbot and Law are both on the sick-list thus weakening the backfield and numerous other important men have been kept out on account of ineligibility.

Largest Score for Brown. Brown ran up the largest first game score in many years when they defeated Rhode Island States 38 to 0. The playing of the victors was smooth and consistent and they were held for downs but once throughout the contest. The University of Virginia by showing better team-work and knowledge of the fundamentals beat Randolph-Macon 20 to 0.