850 Men in Princeton Sports

An investigation which has just been completed at Princeton in regard to the number taking regular exercise in the form of some college sport reports that 850 men is the approximate total. The total of hours per week is 1315, resulting in an individual average of only 1 hour and 30 minutes per week. A small proportion of the men are members of the university and freshman squads; the remainder consists of upper-classmen taking voluntary exercise, and of about 300 freshmen taking compulsory athletics.

Rowing, with 170 participants, is the most popular sport. It is estimated that there are 90 candidates for the university crew, and 80 in the 1919 squad. Handball is the next most popular sport with 125 men; it also has the distinction of having the highest average time spent upon it. Basketball with 123, swimming with 120, track with 100, wrestling with 66, calisthenics with 40, and boxing with 20 are next in order. It is interesting to note that only 15 are down as participating in hockey. This would compare very unfavorably with the large number engaged in University, Freshmen, second, and scrub hockey at Cambridge.