HOCKEY TEAM MEETS McGILL

UNIVERSITY SEVEN IS WEAKENED BY ABSENCE OF CAPTAIN MORGAN.

McGill University, of Montreal, will oppose the University hockey team at the Arena this evening at 8.15 o'clock. Despite the fact that the war, and graduation, have depleted the ranks of the Canadian hockey players to a considerable extent, McGill sends a fast, experienced team against the Crimson. McGill won last year by the score of 1 to 0, in a game which will be remembered chiefly for the spectacular goal tending of Mann, who turned aside no less than 42 shots without an error. Three of last year's regulars are serving at the front now, and two more, including Mann, have graduated. Scott, who takes Mann's place in the net, however, has been the sensation of amateur Canadian ranks this winter. Whitcombe, at point, is also new on the team, but played in the inter-provincial league last year. Madden, the third defence man, played formerly with Ottawa University, and is considered the best defence man ever turned out there. The two veterans are Andrews, centre, and Captain Rooney, rover. The latter is the most brilliant player on the team; a splendid stickhandler, fast on his skates, and a man of several years' experience at the game. Jones and McCullough are both players of repute in Canada, the latter being an unusually good shot, speedy, and clever with his stick.

Offensively, McGill was inferior to the University team last year, and the defence centered almost entirely in the brilliancy of Mann. Harvard's defence, however, which has not been scored on in the last three games, should be able to cope with the Canadians' attack, although Captain Morgan will probably be unable to play on account of a bad cold, and the forward line is playing in equally high form.