NEWCOMERS IN STADIUM TODAY

SEVERAL PLAYERS OUT OF LINEUP BUT SUBSTITUTES SHOULD DO WELL.

The University of North Carolina, a new comer to the Cambridge football world, will meet the University eleven in the Stadium this afternoon at 3 o'clock. Although the Southerners were defeated 29 to 0 by Princeton last week, they have high hopes of turning the tables this afternoon, and securing a victory over the University. That the Harvard coaches are not greatly worried over the outcome of the contest, however, is shown by the fact that the drill for the University squad this week has been unusually light, the first string men not having been sent onto the field for any hard scrimmaging until last Thursday, when the Freshmen lined up against them for the first time this season. And in this scrimmage the University eleven showed a much stronger offensive and defensive playing power than was evident in the Tufts game a week ago. Provided that the Crimson team can overcome their tendency to fumble and start before the ball, they should have no difficulty in disposing of the North Carolinans.

Haughton System Used by Opponents.

The chief element of interest in the game this afternoon will be the fact that this is the first time that the University eleven has met a team coached by men who use the Haughton system, for the North Carolina squad this year has been under the direction of T. J. Camp- bell '12 and R. R. Cowen '16, both of whom were trained by Coach Haughton. Thus the game this afternoon should prove an interesting contest between two teams similarly trained and drilled, both using the same style of football. Hard, straight-forward playing, without the use of trick plays and freak formations is what may be expected.

Although, Caner, Clark, Thacher, Bond, Flower and Taylor do not appear in the line-up which is to start today's game, the eleven men whom the coaches have picked do not represent a substitute line-up. Wheeler, Snow and Lovell, in the line, are all strong players and tried men, while Burnham, Horween and Casey in the backfield have demonstrated their worth more than once this year. More-over, the regulars who do not appear upon the list of those beginning the contest, are all available for use, with exception of Bond and possibly Taylor, in case the necessity arises.

Light Workout Yesterday.

Practice for the University team yesterday afternoon consisted of the usual light Friday work-out. After some kicking practice and signal drill, in which the finishing touches were added for today's game, the men were excused and the coaches adjourned to the Freshman Field to follow the 1919 practice