Current Advocate Purposeless

By C. G. Paulding .

Mr. John Jay Chapman says in his "Notes on Religion" that contemporary medicine is on the verge of seeing that health is relaxation and all danger whether to mind or body is due to nervous tension. The Advocate's leading editorial on "Advice to Freshmen" is in accordance with this theory in warning them not to plan their day with detailed modern efficiency. It is well written but it has its value only as a counsel of perfection for those who have a strong purpose which enables them to over-ride all such trivialities as planning and forethought. It is also good for those who think that without genius they may, through system, reach the stars. But for the humdrum it is dangerous. The editorial on football says nothing new but it is gaily written in a style which precludes all serious influence, and which we are accustomed to expect in the Lampoon.

The most interesting prose in the issue is the article by Professor Lanman on the late Josiah Royce. Few of the men even in his courses know about his youth and its impetuous power. The article tells of his days at Baltimore University in 1876. It tells of his beliefs and his spirit throughout life. It is most valuable.

Mr. Carpenter's story, "The Nymph Chaser," is in a conventional style above that of the average undergraduate. Although perhaps a little long drawn out and in places a little lagging in interest, it is technically correct and very pleasant to read.

Of the verse "Return," by Mr. Norris and Mr. Cutler's "A Few Friends," are easily the best. Mr. Norris has an economy of phrase and tranquility of thought truly remarkable, while Mr. Cutler's delicacy of thought and rhythms remind us of the writers of the French Renaissance. Mr. Putnam, celebrating Milton, has some truly beautiful lines toward the end of the poem, but the beginning is somewhat stilted, and the beginning of a piece is of such enormous artistic import that it over-clouds the beauty of thought which in this instance is surely present.

"The Silent Witness" is reviewed competently, and the number closes with a poem by Mr. Gazzam, which is evidently inspired, but unfortunately amateurish in execution.

The issue is pleasant to read and as it does not aim to convince anyone of anything, it cannot be blamed for not doing so. Personally, we regret the absence of any serious essay.