SCORING DEVICES LACKING

But Tigers Have Sturdy Defence, while Their Kicking Game is Superior to the University's.

In reviewing last Saturday's games, William B. Hanna, the football expert of the New York Herald, compares the brand of football as played by the University, Princeton and Yale. In part he says:

"There was not the dash to the Harvard play that there has been to Yale's this fall, nor was there a sturdiness on defence equal to Princeton's. Harvard and Yale, it seems to the writer, are ahead of Princeton in offence at present, but neither with as consistent or comprehensive a defence. The Tigers have not shown the diversified scoring devices of the other two.

"Harvard has a better kicking game than Yale, and Princeton's is a shade better than Harvard's. The Crimson and the Blue are both proficient in fundamentals, but Harvard's handling of the ball was better on Saturday than anything Yale or Princeton have done."

New College Buildings Under Way.

Reports come in from various colleges that new buildings are being constructed, and additions made. The cornerstone for Princeton's new half-million-dollar dining hall has been laid by President John Grier Hibben. The east wing of the building is already completed and is used to accommodate the freshman and sophomore classes. The new dining hall is the last link in a chain of buildings which surround the west side of the campus. Notables from all parts of the country, who were there for the annual trustee meeting, attended the ceremony.

The new Technology dormitories will soon be completed and should be ready for occupancy by November 1. They were to have been finished for the opening of the new buildings and the delay has caused many students who had engaged rooms in them to locate elsewhere temporarily. The dormitories, when finished, will be divided throughout into sections by means of fire-proof doors, each section containing both single rooms and suites. Unlike the Freshman dormitories of the University, there will be no rooms furnished with baths, but large shower rooms will be conveniently located on each floor.

Cross-Country Race Proposed.

Dartmouth has sent invitations out to the University, Yale, Princeton and other colleges, to send freshman teams to a cross-country meet which will be held entirely for first-year men. The proposed meet would be staged at Hanover over the intercollegiate course on November 8. Suitable cups would be awarded to the winning team, and individual medals to point winners. If the proposition meets with favorable recognition from the several colleges invited to participate the Dartmouth Athletic Council expects to make it an annual event, like the intercollegiate varsity run.

At New Haven the much-debated coaching question has again been brought forward. George P. Day, treasurer of the new Yale Board of Athletic Control, spoke before 200 members of the Yale Club of Boston several nights ago, and criticized severely the present system of coaching prevailing in colleges.

Coaches Placed on Professor Basis.

"Coaches should be put on a faculty standard," said Mr. Day. "They should be like college professors, and you ought not to have any coaches who could not be used as tutors for undergraduates. It seems absurd that they should receive as much money as college presidents. They should serve for the love of coaching.

"Preparatory schools have the right idea in appointing their coaches as members of the faculties."

Mr. Day went on to say that Yale until recently had been the home of disorganized athletics, but that the new system aimed to put an end to the internal difficulties. "We want more men to go out," he said in conclusion. "We want scrub teams. We want to make athletics the real centre of undergraduate enthusiasm. There is a feeling outside of Yale that athletics have been over-emphasized at New Haven. They may have been in some major sports, but I think, as a whole, they have not been emphasized enough."

No sooner has the Right Reverend Huyshe Wolcott Yeatman-Biggs, D. D., Lord Bishop of Worcester, England, and Senior Honorary Fellow of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, left than the announcement comes that another English scholar is to honor an American university with his presence. This time it is Dr. Stephen Langdon, of Oxford University, the noted Sumerian scholar, who has been appointed curator of the Babylonian section of the University of Pennsylvania museum. Dr. Langdon, whose appointment is for one year, expects to spend much of his time in translating and cataloging the many thousand Sumerian and Babylonian tablets in the museum. His acceptance of the appointment was made possible because the war had depleted the students in his department at Oxford