Military Apathy Explainable.

Communications

(We invite all men in the University to submit communications on subjects of timely interest, but assume no responsibility for sentiments expressed under this head.)

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:--

The present enrolment in the new course in Military Science is a remarkable commentary on the true attitude of Harvard toward preparedness. The student body seems unusually apathetic. This lack of interest is comparatively easy of explanation and in the light of Harvard's past efforts should not, I believe, be subject to the recently expressed censure of the CRIMSON. Analysis shows conditions clearly different from last year.

The Harvard Regiment was notable for its size and for the cooperative spirit of its members, which was at least equal to that at the Junior Plattsburg camp. Naturally many of its enlistments were the result of mob psychology. It was one of the things that was "being done."

Moreover, last year, Harvard was in the lead--had conceived the idea of a regiment. It was a model to be admired and imitated by the lesser academic bodies and hence constantly to be improved and augmented. Its very formation before all other similar organizations assured its continuance as leader. Student enthusiasm so willed it.

But the significance lies in the voluntary nature of the Harvard Regiment. That freedom alone was a potent reason for its success. The desire for an ostentatious but efficient body impelled each to his best effort, and the desire surely achieved the result.

What, on the other hand, now confronts the student body? The voluntary Regiment has ceased to exist. In its place stands the course in military science with forbiddingly academic aspect. I confess that I emphasize that point. All too keenly does the member of the Regiment recall some of the admittedly unpopular lectures required in last year's work of the Regiment. The appeal of active "soldiering" is gone. The passive absorption of theory in the lecture room is not to the taste of the majority. The Regiment as a body was more inspired by the ideals of immediate efficiency and creditable appearance than by the hope of possible governmental recognition or the listing of its members as reserve officers.

With much this same reason desire for complete proficiency from actual military experience, Harvard far exceeded any other college in enrolment at Plattsburg. Here was learned the essentials of leadership under army conditions and in the service of the Federal Government--clearly a far better training for officers than a course in military science.

This superior training of many men in the technique of the service and the consequent keen competition for officers' positions would have drawn many more to a voluntary organization, like last year's Regiment than have appeared interested in the present scheme.

In case of need, I fully believe that the men with the practical training of Plattsburg and the Regiment would make officers infinitely superior, both inorganizing ability and power in leadership, to the manifestly serious but purely theoretical students of Military Science and Tactics 1. HOWARD B. SPRAGUE '18.