COLLECTIONS FOR UNIT TODAY

Funds for Harvard Surgeons in France to be Taken Up Today.

The Corporation has granted permission for the ushers to take up a collection between the halves of the game today for the benefit of the Harvard Surgical Unit. A comparatively small number of men have contributed enough to defray the expenses so far and to pay for all of the instruments, and equipment used by the unit, surgical dressings, much of the bacteriological and anaesthetic apparatus and some of the buildings.

The first unit was sent out in April, 1915, under the charge of Dr. Edward H. Nichols '95. The staff was made up of 33 surgeons, dentists and physicians, 75 nurses, and one manager. Ever since then doctors and nurses have been furnished for Hospital 22 with the British Expeditionary force in northern France, and 2,380 beds have been operated in a completely equipped hospital.

Three units have been sent out so far, each serving for a period of six months and on November 18, the fourth unit will leave for the front under the charge of Herbert H. White '93.

The University has supplied over 100 surgeons, doctors and dentists to this work. Under Dr. Hugh Cabot '94, who was in charge of the third unit, an average of '2,000 cases per month were handled with but 19 deaths in a total of over 13,000 cases.