HISTORY OF PRINCETON FROM FOUNDING TO PRESENT TIME

COLLEGE FOUNDED IN 1746 NOW GREAT UNIVERSITY, WITH ALUMNI PROMINENT IN FIELDS RANGING FROM EDUCATION TO DRIVING AMBULANCES ABROAD.

The first charter was granted to Princeton College on October 22, 1746, by Governor John Hamilton. This was the first college charter conferred in America by the independent action of a provincial governor. The charter of Harvard was granted by an act of the legislature of Massachusetts; the charter of Yale was an act of the legislature of Connecticut; and that of William and Mary was granted directly by those sovereigns.

The name of John Hamilton, therefore, is given a conspicuous place in every list of founders of Princeton University. He granted the first charter against the precedent made by the governor whom he succeeded in the executive chair; and he granted it with alacrity, certainly without vexatious delay.

Present Charter Granted in 1748.

Two years later, on September 14, 1748, a second charter was granted by Governor Jonathan Belcher, Harvard 1699 and this is the charter of Princeton today.

The university, then the College of New Jersey, opened in the fourth week of May, 1747, with the Reverend Jonathan Dickinson, Yale 1706, as president. No records have been kept of the number of students enrolled during the first session, but in 1748 six students received the degree of Bachelor of Arts. Dr. Dickinson died on October 7, 1747.

Immediately upon his death, the care of the college was entrusted to the Reverend Aaron Burr, who took the students from Elizabethtown to Newark. To Burr belongs the honor of organizing the curriculum of the college, its ceremonies and its discipline.

Permanent Site Chosen in 1752.

While Burr was arranging the curriculum, the trustees were arranging for the permanent location of the college. Newark was too near New York to satisfy the trustees residing in Pennsylvania, so they voted in 1750 "that a proposal be made to the towns of New Brunswick and Princeton to try what sum of money they could raise for the building of the college by the next meeting, that the trustees may be better able to judge in which of these places to fix the college." In September, 1752, they voted that the college be fixed in Princeton and ground was broken there in 1754. Soon afterwards the cornerstone of the first building, Nassau Hall, was laid, and the building completed in 1757. It was 170 feet long and 54 feet wide, and had, as now, three stories and a cupola. Twice since its erection the interior of the building has been destroyed by fire but the honest workmanship of its first builders has enabled it to survive both catastrophes. The college was removed to Princeton in the autumn of 1756 and opened there with 70 students.

Policy Extended Under Witherspoon.

In May, 1768, John Witherspoon was elected president of the college. His extensive plans for the enlargement of the institution were largely defeated by the interference of the War of Independence, in which the town and college of Princeton played a large part. Nassau Hall sheltered both British and American soldiers, and among the proudest possessions of the university are the two cannon which were captured during the war and which are now on the campus. As a result of the war the smallest class which ever graduated received their degrees during this period.

Less Than 100 Students in 1830.

Up to 1830, the whole college numbered less than 100 students, but in the next year 67 new students were admitted, and the number so increased that in 1839 there were 270 students enrolled.

Carnahan's Administration Notable.

This great growth came during the presidency of James Carnahan. Not only were the number of students increased under his regime but the number of professors and buildings grew, and the general policy was broadened. In the 31 years of his administration, 1,677 students were admitted to the first degree of arts, the annual average being 54. Of these 73 became presidents or professors in colleges or other seminaries of learning, eight became senators of the United States, 26 members of the House of Representatives, four members of the President's Cabinet; and a large number became eminent in the liberal professions.

Greatest Growth Under McCosh.

But the administration of James McCosh from 1868 to 1888 is the greatest landmark in the history of Princeton, Whatever shall be the development of the institution, hereafter, it must always be said of James McCosh that, while loyal to the foundation and the history of the college, he, more than any other man, made it a university. Though it was not until after his death that the title of university was given, it should never be forgotten that the university life began in his administration.

Princeton Presidents.

Since its foundation, Princeton has had the following 14 presidents:

Jonathan Dickinson, Yale 1706, A.M., 1709, from 1747 to 1748. Helped secure the charter for the college.

Aaron Burr, Yale 1735. From 1748 to 1757. Trustee from 1746 to 1748 and real founder of the college.

Jonathan Edwards, Yale 1720, from 1858 to 1859. Died 34 days after becoming president. He was a great scholar and had much influence over the faculty.

Samuel Davies, Hon. P. 1753, from 1759 to 1761. He went to England to collect funds for the founding of the college.

Samuel Finley, D.D., P. 1749, from 1761 to 1766. He was born in Ireland, entered the ministry and preached before the forbidden New Haven society, for which he was convicted of preaching in a parish without the pastor's consent and was thrown out of the colony.

John Witherspoon, Edinburgh University 1742, D.D., St. Andrews, 1764; L.L.D., Yale, 1784, from 1768 to 1794. He introduced political science, international law, metaphysics, Hebrew and French, and was a member of the first Continental Congress.

Samuel Stanhope Smith, P. 1769, from 1795 to 1812. He was a tutor and later a professor of theology, and was one of the members of the first Continental Congress.

Ashbel Green, P. 1783, from 1812 to 1822. He was a sergeant in the Continental Army in the Revolution and chaplain to Congress. His term was ended by his resignation.

James Carnahan, P. 1800, from 1823 to 1854. He was a minister and trustee previous to his becoming president.

John McLean, P. 1816, from 1854 to 1868. He was a professor of mathematics and later changed to ancient languages. He wrote "Colonial History of New Jersey" and contributed to the "Prince Review."

James McCosh, M.A., Edinburgh 1834, D.D., 1851, Hon. Aberdeen 1850, Brown 1868, L.L.D. Dublin, 1863; Harvard, 1868, from 1868 to 1888.

Francis Landay Patton, Hon. M.A., P. 1896, from 1888 to 1902. He was a minister and wrote "The Inspiration of the Scriptures."

Woodrow Wilson, P. 1879, from 1902 to 1910.

John Grier Hibben, P. 1882, M.A., 1885, the present incumbent, began his term in 1910. Before becoming president he was a professor at Princeton.

There have been 17 colleges and universities throughout the country founded by Princeton men or under Princeton auspices. These colleges are Brown, Union College, Hamilton College, Washington and Jefferson, Washington and Lee, Hampton-Sidney College, Washington College, Tenn.; Greenville College, Tenn.; University of North Carolina, Winsborough College, South Carolina; University of Georgia, University of Ohio, Cumberland University, Tenn.; Austin College, Tex; University of Cincinnati, Washington College, Indiana; Pennsylvania University, Kentucky.

35 in Ambulance Service.

Princeton has also been well represented in the present war in the Field Srvice of the American Ambulance. A. Piatt Andrew, P. 1893, A.M., Harvard '95, was at the head of the service and in addition there were many other men, making a total of 35 men enrolled. This service has afforded invaluable help to the people of France, and is a debt that will not soon be forgotten. The following men are enlisted in the service:

A. Piatt Andrew, of Glouchester, Mass.; Arthur Bluethenthal, of Wilmington, N. C.; Jackson Boyd, of Harrisburg, Penn.; Tingle Woods Culberton, of Sewickley, Penn.; Samuel G. Dayton, Philadelphia; William S. Dell, of Davos, Switzerland; Eric A. Towler, of New York; Harold H. Giles, of Colorado Springs; William D. Gilmore, of Chambersburg, Pa.; Paul S. Haney, of Quakertown, Pa.; Raymond Harper, of New York; George G. L. Howe, of Nashville, Tenn.; Empie Latimer, of Wilmington, N. C.; Robert R. Lester, of Kansas City, Mo.; Ridgeley Lytle, of New York City; Robert Mather of Marion, Ind.; R. B. Montgomery, of New York City; Albert Nalle, of Bryn Mawr, Pa.; Leonard Ober, of Baltimore; Earl D. Osborn, of New York City; Donald O. Page, of New York City; John Gile Paul, of Watertown, Florida; Oliver H. Perry, of Elmhurst, N. Y.; William C. Potter, of Riverdale-on-Hudson, N. Y.; William Prickett, of Wilmington, Del.; Bertwal C. Read, of Bloomfield, N. J.; William E. Richardson, of New York; Robert Roche, of East Orange, N. J.; Arthur R. Taber, of New York City; Aubrey L. Thomas, of Cheyney, Pa.; Edward D. Townsend, of New York City; Herbert P. Townsend, of New York City; Westel R. Willoughby, of Baltimore; Cornelius Winant, of New York City.

Athletics Organized in 1858.

Athletics at Princeton were organized in 1858. Baseball and football were both introduced in that year, and track in 1873. Football was first played between clubs and associations but grew slowly until 1869, when a team of 25 men was beaten by Rutgers, six goals to four. In 1872, they challenged Yale, Columbia and Rutgers, but the first two declined to play and Rutgers was beaten. The first intercollegiate football convention met in New York in 1873 at which Yale, Princeton and Rutgers were represented. This meeting reduced the number of players on each team from 25 to 20. Rugby rules with 15 men on a team came into use in 1876 and the next year, Harvard, Princeton and Columbia formed a league. In 1884, Columbia withdrew, and two years later the present association was formed.

In baseball, the triangular league was formed in 1887 and intercollegiate track games were first held in 1874