Lectures on National Development.

COMMENT

It is interesting indeed that the Massachusetts Institute of Technology is able to contribute the professor who will conduct the newest of extension courses in Boston on such a subject as "European National Development." The very topic which Professor C. F. A. Currier has chosen for the subdivisions of his lecturing show how closely his mind must have been concerned with the great currents of civilization and the problems affecting the individual and corporate life of the peoples, while his colleagues have been devoting themselves to the splendid advance of the Institute's technical training. His course for the Commission on Extension will sketch the growth of European nations since the French Revolution, tracing not only the conflicts of the nations themselves but also of the varying doctrines of nationalism which they have maintained. No more timely or importantly related discussion could be proposed at this hour. --Boston Transcript.

When we re-read books which interested us intensely a long time ago, we learn the origin of many of our "peculiar and original" ideas and prejudices. We, furthermore, realize the strong influence an absorbing book has on character and how dangerous it would be to ourselves, to the community and to the world at large, if we read the biographies of library vandals, ticket scalpers and horse thieves.   --The Pennsylanian.