PRINCETON TODAY

The great success of Coach Haughton in former seasons has proved the truth of the statement that football teams are made, not born. Last year Harvard christened the Palmer Stadium for the Orange and Black with a typical Harvard victory. Princeton had a good team then, but the team that won could be praised only in superlatives.

Princeton has a good team now, but Harvard has a team that can bear favorable comparison with the best of past years. Those false prophets that cried all too soon that this year, with Mahan absent and the organization of 1915 broken, would be a year of defeats now lack honor in their own country. After the Cornell triumph the Crimson regained its traditional strength, and a Harvard team that thinks only in terms of victory takes the field today.

Princeton has had luck in many games of past years, not only against Harvard but against other teams. Not zoological mascots, nor prayers, nor beautiful New Jerseyites, nor mystic rights to the full moon, can break the strength of Harvard. The Crimson team goes into the game with fingers uncrossed, as her goal line will remain when the game is over.

While Harvard and Princeton are battling for victory today, Cambridge and Oxford are fighting Heidelberg. We settle our contest on a grassy field surrounded by enthusiastic, happy people; they are struggling in blood-stained trenches, haggard and worn, awaiting death. Between the halves of the game a collection will be taken up for the Harvard Surgical Unit, whose members are going across the water to alleviate the sufferings of university men engaged in a more serious struggle. If all stop to think what purpose their contributions will serve, the amount of the collection cannot help being worthy of the throng of spectators. Let both Harvard and Princeton supporters, whether their particular team is ahead or not, remember the struggle in Europe and give gladly and generously.