SIR E. PEARS LECTURES IN CONANT

Noted Authority on Turkey Speaks Before History Club at 8 O'clock.

Sir Edwin Pears will give a talk on some of his personal experiences in the Orient at a meeting of the History Club in Conant Common Room this evening at 8 o'clock. Sir Edwin has lived in Constantinople since 1873 and for many years has been at the head of the European bar there. He went there as a correspondent for the London Daily News and it was largely due to his reports in 1876 in regard to the Bulgarian atrocities that public sentiment was so aroused in England just before the Russo-Turkish war.

He has been legal adviser to many prominent members of the Turkish government and so has been in a position to see ultimately the course of events in connection with the Turkish Revolution of 1876, the war with Russia, the British occupation of Egypt, the Turkish Revolution of 1908, the Balkan war and finally with the present European war.

When the war broke out, he was in Constantinople and knowing that he was on good terms with many prominent leaders of the party, decided to remain there. The government promised that they would not molest him, but broke their promise and imprisoned him. It was only through the energetic efforts of Mr. Morgenthau that he was released. He left Turkey in December, 1914.