A GREAT EDUCATOR

Dr. Isaac Sharpless, recently resigned from the presidency of Haverford College, is one of a notable group of educators who witnessed the rapid growth of American colleges and universities during the nineteenth century. Since 1875, he has been on the Haverford faculty, and has been president since 1887; so that the development of that institution is inextricably bound up with his career. Dr. Sharpless graduated from the Lawrence Scientific School in 1873. One of his latest honors was an honorary degree of LL.D. from the University in 1915.

His views on education, however, should most interest us. In a recent book entitled, "The American College," he discusses the advantages of a liberal over a technical education, an ideal which Harvard has always maintained. Under Dr. Sharpless' leadership, Haverford has not adopted the often ill-chosen title of "University." It has not entered the competition for numerical leadership, but has remained with Williams and Dartmouth, and indeed with such universities as Harvard, Yale and Princeton, as protestants to the modern commerialization of higher education.