UNIVERSITY SEVEN MEETS YALE TONIGHT IN ARENA

RIVAL PLAYERS ANALYZED

The first game of the Harvard Yale 1916 hockey series will be played at the Arena tonight at 8.15 o'clock. A comparative record of the previous games played by the two teams gives the advantage to the Crimson seven, which, although it lost the early season games to the B. A. A. and Queen's College, has won all the remaining contests and has not been scored on in the intercollegiate series. The University's season includes decisive victories over Cornell, Dartmouth, and in two games with Princeton. Yale has lost to Princeton 3 out of 4 games, and met Dartmouth two days after the latter's 6 to 0 defeat at the hands of the University seven, and was barely able to win after three extra periods, 4 to 3.

The totals show five victories out of seven games for Harvard, and eight out of eleven for Yale; but the results of the Princeton and Dartmouth games turn the balance in favor of the University seven.

Wylde and York Compared.

Both teams present strong defence combinations. Wylde and York, the opposing goal tenders, are both consistently brilliant performers. Rooney's goal from a mix-up in the McGill game was the only shot to get past Wylde in the last five games Harvard has played, and York has been the sensation of the Yale seven throughout the season. He plays coolly, clears away his rebounds in good shape, but occasionally an angle shot for the outside corner gets away from him. The only possible fault in Wylde's playing is a tendency to take waist high shots with his stick which he might reach more surely with his hand; but this has not cost him any goals this season.

In the outer defence, Washburn is playing on the Yale seven for the first time this year, but has played a strong game throughout the season. He scored the winning goal in the Yale-Dartmouth game last Monday. Both he and Murray, the point, are big, aggressive players, who depend more on checking than stickwork in their defensive game. Playing close together and near the goal, they are a hard pair to get through, but in all-around defensive and especially offensive ability they are not as effective as Captain Morgan and Doty of the Univer- sity. Murray prepared at St. Paul's, captained the 1917 freshman seven, and was a regular last year.

Center Forwards Best.

Captain Burgess is the most brilliant player in the forward line, but an injury to his knee, received in the Dartmouth game, may possibly keep him out of tonight's contest. This is his third year on the team, and he and York, who also played last year, are easily the stars of the Yale combination. Teamed up with Burgess is Dickey, also a veteran of two years' experience, and these two have developed an unusually good short passing game. Against them Harvard sends a speedy pair in Percy and Baker. Percy, with his skating, stick-work, and lightning shots, is the most brilliant performer in the forward line, with the one fault of shooting high and sometimes wide. Baker, who has taken Curtis' place, is a very heady player, uses his body well, and is extremely good with his stick.

Both lines are weaker on the wings than in the centre pairs. Gould prepared at St. Paul's and was 1918 captain last year. If Burgess is unable to play, Gould will take his place and Jacobs, also a sophomore, will take the left wing position. Armour, another sophomore, covers the other end of the line. Both men play the boards and follow up aggressively, but leave most of the shooting to the centres. Rice and Thacher, the University wings, though perhaps not quite as fast as Gould and Armour, handle their sticks a little better. Thacher has been coached to pass out to the centres a great deal, and follows the puck up to the goal pretty closely, often scoring on rebounds in practice. Rice has developed rapidly for the other wing, and is an accurate shot from the boards.

Second String a Factor.

Part of the University's strength lies in the ability of the second-string line. W. Morgan, Baldwin, Fisher and Taylor are a quartet not far behind the regulars, and any one of them can bolster up the line if one of the forwards shows signs of lagging