UNIVERSITY CREWS IN TANK

FRESHMAN EIGHTS WORKED OUT ON MACHINES YESTERDAY AFTERNOON.

The coaching of the University and Freshman oarsmen is now well under way. Coach Haines is drilling the men on the new stroke, which involves several changes, and this fall proved a great success. The first four crews all had practice both on the machines and in the tanks. At present they are the only ones using these, all others being confined to the machines. No important changes were made in the upper crews, it appearing that their line-up will remain to all practical purposes the same until the men have rowed together enough to show whether or not they are going to round out into satisfactory form. To get the necessary unity means a lot of time, care, and experience.

All ten Freshman eights reported today. They were rowed in relays of three on the machines. Coach Haines and A. Beane '11 supervised the work. The men have now been more or less definitely divided, though it is probable that many radical changes will be found necessary before long. The first two eights are as follows:--

Freshman crew.--Stroke, D. A. Freeman, Jr.; 7, J. F. Linder; 6, G. L. Batchelder; 5, F. Parkman; 4, L. H. Emery; 3, K. R. Whitmarsh; 2, N. P. Hill; bow, D. Leighton.

Second Freshman crew.--Stroke, R. S. Emmet; 7, R. E. Strawbridge; 6, S. Rhinehart; 5, E. H. Gardner; 4, J. S. Coleman; 3, E. S. Brewer; 2, W. A. Gaston; bow, D. B. Hull.