FOR EVENING COURSES.

The fact that the normal day consists of not more than sixteen or seventeen working hours raises a number of problems calling for nice adjustment in the fixing of lecture engagements. The hour from eleven to twelve is especially popular with instructors--Professor Munro explained in the Graduates' Magazine--and is in danger of becoming over-crowded and causing bad conflicts. On the other hand, "two-thirties" are anathema to most undergraduates, especially in the spring and fall when athletics are in fullest swing. It has been suggested that they be moved to 7.45 in the morning; and it is likely, even though Spartan blood is none too plentiful, that a few more courses could be given successfully at that hour. At least, their value as an eye-opener for the day to those who took them is undeniable. But there is another possibility, which would probably meet with favor among a considerable number of students, namely, a greater use of evening hours.

A few evening courses are given at present, but they are practically all in the Primarily-for-Graduates group. If some undergraduate courses, morning as well as afternoon, were moved to the evening, the efficiency of undergraduate life would be increased. The amount of scurrying around the Yard, commuting between classes in the good study hours of the morning, would be reduced. A man who has two non-consecutive morning lectures, unless he is more systematic than is usual, finds they consume his entire morning. And on the other hand, three or four consecutive classes make too great a strain for the best results.

Evening classes, of course, are not adapted to all subjects. A course the material of which is largely factual, is best given in the morning, when the student's mind is more attuned to prosaic things; and very large courses are probably also suited more to morning hours. But, on the other hand, discussion courses and courses on theoretical subjects, of moderate size, can very likely be handled to greatest advantage in the evening, the time most conducive to reflection and philosophical inquiry.

Of course not all students wish to use even one or two evenings in this way; nor would all instructors. And it would doubtless be well to extend the length of a session in order to lessen the number of evening so broken into. Such a plan would probably increase the efficiency of both day and evening for many students.