MANNING TO ASSIST HAINES IN COACHING 1919 EIGHTS

Eleven Freshman Crews will be Retained Throughout Spring Rowing Season This Year.

Coach Manning, in charge of rowing at the Weld boathouse, was yesterday made assistant to Coach Haines. He will have complete care of the lower Freshman crews. Manning is an experienced oarsman and did a considerable amount of coaching lower Freshman dormitory crews in an unofficial way during the fall season.

All of the eleven Freshman eights will be retained throughout the spring and under Coach Manning's care a number of good oarsmen should be developed who would be lost if cuts in the squad were made.

As usual, the first two University and Freshman crews worked out in the tank yesterday. C. C. Lund '16 was put back at stroke on the first crew after an absence of one day. T. T. Mackie '18 will be back at Newell Friday, or Monday at the latest. A. Potter '17, out with a sprained ankle, is not expected to return to the machines for some time.

Some shifting occurred in the first Freshman eight to fill the vacancy caused by the absence of L. H. Emery, 4, who is sick. D. A. Freeman was moved up from stroke and R. S. Emmet came over from stroke in the second boat to fill Freeman's place. R. B. Lane took Emmet's seat.

The order of the two first crews is now as follows:

University. Stroke, C. C. Lund '16; 7. H. B. Cabot '17; 6, D. P. Morgan '16; 5, T. E. Stebbins '17; 4, K. B. G. Parson '16; 3. J. C. Talcott, Jr. '16; 2, M. Taylor '18; bow, N. Brozer '18.

Freshmen.--Stroke, R. S. Emmet; 7, J. F. Linder; 6, G. L. Batchelder; 5, F. Parkman; 4, D. A. Freeman; 3, K. R. Whitmarsh; 2, N. P. Hill; bow, D. Leighton.