Thirteen Elms to be Planted Near Freshman Dormitories

When the Freshman dormitories were built last year, thirteen small trees were planted in the plot of land between Smith and Standish Halls. Since the soil was not good, they did not grow very well, and therefore were taken out last fall.

The land on which the Freshman dormitories now stand was once a part of the river. But gradually the shore was built out as an ash-heap, so that all the land within one hundred and fifty feet of the river is now made up mostly of ashes. Large wooden piles were uncovered by the workmen last fall when they were taking out the old trees from this land. These piles were foundations of gas wharves at which coal barges used to unload.

Men are now at work here digging large holes in preparation for planting larger and more vigorous trees. The land between Standish and smith Halls is divided into two plots. Seven trees will be placed in the plot in front of Standish Hall and six in front of Smith. These thirteen new trees will be elms, about fifteen feet high, and will be planted as soon as the frost thaws out of the ground. The work is being directed under the supervision of R. T. Fisher, head of the Forestry Department.