IMPORTANT SHIFTS IN CREWS

A. W. POPE RAISED TO UNIVERSITY B, AND E. S. BREWER TO FIRST FRESHMAN.

Two important changes marked the practice of the University and Freshman crews yesterday afternoon. A. W. Pope '18, who has been on Crew C all season, was placed at 4 on University B. This crew has seen many shifts in the last few days, but it is the logical place to give members of last year's Freshman crews a thorough test with University regulars. Pope rowed 4 on the 1918 crew, so that he has had quite a little experience at this position.

An exchange of men was made between the first and second Freshman boats. E. S. Brewer went from bow on the second to 3 on the first, and F. B. Whitmarsh was sent to Brewer's old place on the second crew. No other changes were made in these boats. Coach Haines was present at practice, and the usual work was done on the machines and in the tank.

The continued work indoors has at least one advantage, in that an excellent opportunity is offered to correct all individual errors before the men get on the water. Once the shells are launched, boats as a whole are easily improved, but single men must work off their faults either on the machines or in the tank. Coach Haines and his assistants are using the present time for just such work.

The present order of the University crews is as follows:

University A.--Stroke, C. C. Lund '16; 7, H. B. Cabot, Jr. '17; 6, D. P. Morgan '16; 5, T. E. Stebbins '17; 4, K. B. G. Parson '16; 3, J. Talcott, Jr. '16; 2, F. W. Busk '16; bow, A. Potter '17.

University B.--Stroke, J. C. White 2nd '17; 7, W. Richardson '17; 6, H. S. Middendorf '16; 5, J. W. Middendorf '16; 4, A. W. Pope '18; 3, E. W. Soucy '16; 2, M. Taylor '18; bow, N. Brazer '18.