A TONIC FOR THE UNION.

In the recent open discussions compulsory membership for the Union has met with no opposition; but from scattered murmurs it becomes evident that a few do not favor the movement wholeheartedly. If a good pool is built in the Union, how many of the conservatives would consider compulsory membership an exorbitant demand? The proposed reduced fee would be money well spent if swimming facilities for a year were the only return.

Recent developments in regard to the pool give promise that the Union may hope for support from this quarter. Through a consultation with the architect, the CRIMSON learns that a different arrangement is possible which removes some of the old objections. It was contended that water under the Union might cause moisture upstairs; but if the pool were built where the H. A. A. office is now situated, not only would the Union atmosphere be dry, but the pool could obtain unlimited sunlight. Though a final estimate is not ready, the architects say that the change would require little additional expense. The H. A. A. would then have the west end of the lower story for its offices, and the locker rooms would be situated in the present billiard room. If the University supports the plan for a pool in the Union, it will help that institution out of a serious financial crisis, and go a long way toward making it the University centre it should be.