UNIVERSITY FENCERS DEFEATED

Capt. Russell Individual Star of Meet With Yale Trio.

Captain Pfleiger of the Yale fencing team and his team mates, Downey and Little, defeated the University trio in a keenly contested meet Saturday afternoon, by the score of 5 to 4. The Yale team thereby secured an unblemished record for the season, winning, in addition to this match, seven others in succession,--twice from Columbia and Pennsylvania, and once from Springfield Training School, Bowdoin, and New York City College. For the University, however, the meet marked the end of a peculiarly unfortunate season, although during the progress of the bouts with Yale the outcome was so dubious as to suggest that the season might perhaps close victoriously. The University has won but one meet, and that its first, with Bowdoin. The following, with Pennsylvania, Annapolis, and Springfield Training School have all been lost, owing undoubtedly to a great extent to the continuing illness of Captain W. H. Russell '18, amateur champion of America.

The match with Yale Saturday did not lack for a moment in excitement. Until the seventh of the nine bouts the score continued in a tie. Then Little of Yale won from G. H. Code '18, and Captain Pfleiger of Yale won from E. P. Hamilton '18. The final bout between Captain W. H. Russell '18 and Downey of Yale was the most spiritedly contested of the whole meet and was a superb exhibition of fencing. It was won by Russell, 8 to 4.

Captain Pfleiger of Yale gave his expected clever performance. Captain W. H. Russell '18 starred for the University, defeating each member of the Yale team. E. P. Hamilton '18 showed improved dexterity and aggressiveness. The judges of the meet were G. B. Wilbur '12, director, F. W. Allen, and O. D. McLaughlin.

The summary follows:

Little (Yale) defeated E. P. Hamilton '18, 8 to 4; Captain W. H. Russell '18 defeated Captain Pfleiger (Yale), 8 to 4; Downey (Yale) defeated G. H. Code '18, 9 to 3; Captain W. H. Russell '18 defeated Little (Yale), 10 to 4; Captain Pfleiger (Yale) defeated G. H. Code '18, 12 to 8; E. P. Hamilton '18, defeated Downey (Yale), 7 to 5; Little (Yale) defeated G. H. Code '18, 11 to 9; Captain Pfleiger (Yale) defeated E. P. Hamilton '18, 8 to 5; Captain W. H. Russell '18, defeated Downey (Yale), 8 to 4.