EXCELLENT CHANCE TO ENTER SERVICE OF STANDARD OIL CO.

Mr. Moffat will be in Cambridge Today to Discuss the Matter with Men Interested.

An opportunity to enter the Foreign Service of the Standard Oil Company of New York will be offered members of the University today when Mr. E. S. Moffatt, a representative of the company, will be accessible in the office of the Dean of the Graduate School of Business Administration, University 17, at 11.30 o'clock. Mr. Moffatt will be there expressly that he may be consulted and questioned by those interested in positions in the Far East with the Standard Oil Company. The posts open are strongly recommended to graduate students or undergraduates, who are qualified, by Dean Gay, of the Business School. The Standard Oil Company is, according to his statement, the only one of American big business corporations to have completely organized its foreign marketing facilities. The Singer Sewing Machine Company is practically the only rival to the concern in eastern lands.

In order that the foreign operatives of the company may be young men of business ability the management has established a training school in New York for its candidates for posts in Asia and the Levant. Men from the University who apply must be between the ages of 21 and 28. Applicants under 21 require responsibility on the part of the company which the latter has found impossible to assume. Older than 28, the applicants seem to grow dissatisfied to be in the same class with younger men. The term of the school is from three to four months. It meets in the main offices of the company, 26 Broadway, New York City. Directors and managers of the company give talks and read papers on phases of the oil business and there is also a considerable amount of supplementary practical work. During the progress of the training course each student receives $17.50 per week. If candidates do not fulfill requirements they are dropped.

As soon as the period of training is completed the applicants are sent abroad. Owing to the war, the majority of positions open at present are in China and neighboring countries. Here the agents receive $166.66 in U. S. gold every month. At the end of a year a vacation of two weeks is given, and at the expiration of the three-year contract, the agent receives a four months' vacation with expenses to New York paid. Knowledge of a foreign language is not necessary, but acquaintance with the native tongue must be acquired in time. As early as ability and opportunity make possible, agents are promoted, but a return to the United States is not guaranteed.