"WILSON HAS SHOWN UNDUE PATIENCE" IN WAR CRISES

Declared Mr. Putnam in Union Last Night.--U. S. Must Protect Citizens Here and Abroad.

In a dramatic speech which sounded, as the keynotes, the protection of our citizens as well as the helping of warring nations, Mr. G. H. Putnam touched upon the various phases of preparedness last evening in the Union. As far as the East was concerned, he believed that preparedness could be assumed. It has taken time for the officials to learn that proper training was requisite; that words, diplomatic letters, brave as they are, could not be empty shells, but must have power behind them; but he acknowledged that "the Daniels and the Bryan's den" theory was being discarded.

He depicted forcefully the conditions of the United States at the present time in its contented attitude of settling back to grow rich and its "corporal's guards which chase from Alaska to Vera Cruz" with no definite purpose; the fleet with its individual ships in good order but lacking as "a fighting unit." All of which, he said, showed the inconsistent lack of detail. Congress did not go far enough, it was willing to do as much as its intelligence could comprehend but there it stopped.

Mr. Putnam further declared that opinions must be expressed throughout the country, since otherwise the President and Congress could not know how the people, whose government they represent, felt. "The President has shown undue patience" in the recent war crises. Money has been distributed broadcast with dishonest intentions of blowing up government property, of destroying munition factories, in short, "a hot-bed of treacherous actions have been going on as ordered by enemies to the nation."

He cited incidents of cruelties inflicted upon nations in earlier wars where the United States had stoutly punished the guilty people, while nowadays little notice is taken of such proceedings. "Although Berlin," he said, "is half responsible for the massacre of innocent people, the United States should be held equally accountable for making no form of protest. An eventual break with Germany will be inevitable and the American people must be ready in resources and equipment, as well as spirit."

He pointed out that the war was "democracy versus military autocracy;" that it had been planned for years. "The divine right of empire has led the best part of Germany astray, but there are still remnants left of the old-time splendor before the Hohenzollerns dominated the land with their inverted theories."

Thus far, he said, the British fleet has protected America, but righteous citizens should not allow their peace and safety to be defended by a nation fighting for its life. The United States, on the country, should be anxious to help its mother country in its death struggle. France, as well, has aided us; has given us "the splendid light of its civilization. They all look to the United States, as a responsible nation, to do its duty."

In conclusion, he declared that the United States has the two-fold duty of protecting its citizens, here and abroad, and lending its support to the side which justice and righteousness favor.