The Latest in Books

"Harvard Inside Out."

By L. W. Uc.

A new book, containing sketches and remarks about many of the most familiar characters about the University, has just been published, entitled "Harvard Inside Out." The text and illustrations are by E. E. Hagler, Jr. '16. The book is reminiscent of "Harvard Celebrities," published in 1900.

The introduction explains that the volume is a collection of pictures belonging to a Harvard undergraduate, Joseph Peebles '18, of Beaverdam, Ohio, shown to the reader by his small brother, Willie, aged eleven.

In the book may be found vivid sketches and descriptions of members of the faculty and such familiar characters as John the Yard Cop, the scrambling Cambridge mucker, and the vacillating section-man. The pictures are very well drawn, and show in mild caricature the funny side of many of the well-known University characters. The sketches are on the right-hand pages, while on the left appear humorously interesting remarks about the subject of each picture. The various best known and best liked faculty members are shown in what the author judges typical moods.

One of the most interesting of the many character sketches appearing in the book is that of the section-man represented as deeply pondering in thought as to whether he shall give his anxious charge an E minus or an E plus.

The author is a Senior editor of the CRIMSON and a member of the editorial board of the Lampoon. R. C. Bacon '16, former business manager of the Lampoon, will take charge of the printing and distribution of the book.