MUSIC IN THE WAR ZONE.

From results of the Phillips Brooks House collections it appears either that charity this year is unusually widespread, or that the committee possesses an executive genius. More than ten times as many text-books, four times as many magazines, and slightly less than twice as many articles of clothing have been obtained this spring as were a year ago. If this demonstration is considered a criterion, the communication regarding musical instruments for French convalescents may be received in the spirit which it deserves.

In many instances when the musical aspirants discard old instruments they thoughtlessly allow the cast-off to be broken or rendered discordant by exposure to steam heat. Maimed soldiers in the French hospitals would like to put these instruments to good service; for many of the wounded find music one of the few forms of amusement open to them; and some of the seriously disfigured are attempting to learn to play as a future means of support when they leave the hospitals. This form of charity offers an opportunity for a gift of real consequence, which necessitates no privation on the part of the giver.

The chief significance of the Pennsylvania Relay Carnival which starts today is that it may break the present tie between Harvard and Pennsylvania honors in the mile relay, each of which has won the event five times. Not only will it give a general impression of the relative strength of colleges which will compete later in the Intercollegiates, but it will confirm or deny the feasibility of predictions which have been made in track circles regarding the probable outcome of individual events in coming dual meets.

Both the war in Europe and our own manoeuvers in Mexico emphasize the importance of the aeroplane service in modern warfare. With a view to supplying a reserve force of men trained in that branch of the army, the Flying Corps was organized at Harvard. Thus far, however, nothing has actually been accomplished beyond the drawing up of plans. Equipment and a field for practice flights are essential in order that the corps fulfill its function. With hearty encouragement promised from the United States Navy, undergraduates can aid greatly by their financial support.