1918 CREW WON CHAMPIONSHIP

SENIOR EIGHT FINISHED THIRD IN INTERCLASS RACES HELD YESTERDAY.

The first Sophomore crew won the interclass eight-oared championship yesterday afternoon in the annual race on the Charles River Basin. Because of a high wind the race was delayed some time, and it was long after 6 o'clock before the crews could start. The first Sophomores took the lead soon after the start, and they never were threatened for a moment, finishing three and one-half lengths of open water ahead of the second Sophomores, who were followed by the Senior and Junior crews. The work of the second Sophomores was exceptional, for they finished almost a length of open water ahead of the Seniors, their nearest competitor.

Long Rows for University Oarsmen.

The three University crews all put in a day of hard practice yesterday afternoon, taking long rows. The coaches directed their attention to the second and third University, since they leave for Philadelphia tomorrow, where they will enter the American Henley. Both these crews will be strong contestants in this race, and a hard struggle should result between the Yale junior eight and the second University. The Yale juniors had no trouble in disposing of the Pennsylvania second crew, while University B's victory over the Princeton junior eight was easily won. Columbia, the only other dangerous rival, has been having trouble all year with her second crew, and Coach Rice is certainly not satisfied with the boat as it is.

Regatta Schedule Shifted.

The program of the Second Annual Invitation Regatta to be held from May 17 to 20 has been somewhat changed from the order published a few days ago. The races of the school eights, the junior single shells, the junior eight-oared crews and the senior eight-oared crews, which were to be held on May 19, have now been shifted to May 18; the races of the second club crews, the third club crews and the octopedes, which were scheduled for May 18, have been set for May 19. All other events will be run off as previously announced.