THE VOTE BY CLASSES.

In calling for a vote of the classes on the question of universal membership in the Union, the Student Council has followed the one feasible course open to it. The report of the committee, which appears in another column of the CRIMSON this morning, indicates an intelligent weighing of the outstanding facts. The scheme is not a new one. Ample time has elapsed since it was first proposed to permit of mature consideration, and the vote of the students will therefore be regarded as expressive of the true sentiment in the College.

The advantage of the proposal is obvious; it is the only practical way of keeping the Union. The chief objection lies in the fact that compulsory dues constitute a further increase in the tuition fee above the two hundred dollar mark fixed for next year. These arguments summarize the conflicting issues to be decided.

Since the Student Council has determined wisely to estimate student opinion on the question by actual vote, members of the College must form and express their sentiments. In making their final decision they should take care that their attitude is serious and unselfish, for the vital effect of the proposed change will be that upon undergraduates as a body, not that upon the individual.