UNIVERSITY SHUT OUT BROWN

ERRATIC FIELDING AND HEAVY HITTING MARKED 6 TO 0 CONTEST.

The University baseball team's eighth consecutive victory was taken yesterday by shutting out Brown 6 to 0. Garritt held the visitors hitless for five innings, and although the Providence players found him for five safeties in the last part of the game, they were unable to solve his delivery in the pinches. Healy, on the other hand, was hit freely, yielding ten bingles for a total of 15 bases.

The contest was marked by erratic fielding. In all, seven errors were made, but this was offset by several really brilliant plays. Davidson, the Brown third-baseman, played his position with consistent cleverness, while Bothfeld and Abbot supplied the features. The former closed Brown's end of the fourth inning by making a pretty running catch of Ormsby's rap to left field and then by doubling Murray at second, who was well on his way toward scoring. Abbot similarly closed out Brown in the eighth with a running stop of Ormsby's hard smash through Garritt. Harte was the star of the day at bat, knocking out two long and high triples to right field.

The University took two of its six runs in the second inning. Harte led off with a triple. Beal walked, and Fripp followed him by hitting a hard liner through short, scoring Harte. Fripp himself scored later when Healy lost his control and forced in a run. Abbot add- ed one to the tally in the next inning by singling and racing home when Healy fielded Harte's bunt and threw wild to first. Another score came in the sixth on Garritt's single. Coolidge's futile rap to third, and Nash's two-base hit to center. The scoring was completed in the next inning when Harte got his second triple, Beal hit safely to right, Fripp sacrificed, G. Johnston bungled Percy's grounder, and Beal and Percy pulled the "first and third" double steal.

The summary:

HARVARD.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Coolidge, c.f.  4  0  0  3  0  0Nash, 1b.  4  0  2  8  0  0Abbot, 2b.  5  1  1  5  5  1Harte, c.  3  2  2  3  1  0Beal, 3b.  3  1  1  3  4  0Fripp, l.f.  2  1  1  2  0  0Percy, r.f.  4  0  0  0  0  0Bothfeld, s.s.  4  0  1  3  4  2Garritt, p.  3  1  1  0  2  0Total,  32  6  10  27  16  3BROWN.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Davidson, 3b.  3  0  0  2  5  0Robertson, l.f.  3  0  2  1  0  0Murray, 2b.  3  0  0  5  1  1G. Johnston, s.s.  4  0  1  2  2  1Ormsby, c.f.  4  0  0  0  0  0J. Johnston, r.f.  4  0  2  0  1  0Andrews, 1b.  2  0  0  9  0  0Feinberg, c.  3  0  0  5  2  0Healy, p.  3  0  0  0  4  2Total,  29  0  5  24  15