Illustrated is Pictorial Triumph

By C. E. K. .

Picturing the message has become a well-established rule among the big advertisers of the country; picturing the story has become almost an essential to the success of the modern newspaper. Advertisers as well as newspaper editors have been quick to appreciate the value of photographic reproduction and the art department today is one of the most important factors in journalism. The vast majority of newspaper readers wish to see as well as read. Not a little of this change in attitude may be traced directly to the tremendous appeal which the movies have made upon the American public within the last decade. Newspaper illustration has percolated down through into publications other than the dailies and has met with just as great success.

The current issue of the illustrated contains a large number of excellent photographic reproductions, as artistic as the writer has seen in any contemporary college pictorial. The work being done in this field by the members of the photographic department compares very favorably with that of many professional camera men.

The cover design, representing the Regiment marching through Harvard square on its first Sunday "hike" is strikingly significant and appropriate at this time with thoughts of mammoth preparedness parades that have been, and are to be, buzzing about in the undergraduate's brain. Another artistic layout of regimental pictures supplements the cover design.

The first reproduction of the Freshman class picture will interest particularly the members of 1919, and action pictures of the baseball, track, and lacrosse teams are well worth filing away in the scrap-book.

While the athletic events of the University have been well covered photographically, other important features have not been neglected. An exclusive picture of Professor George P. Baker '87 and Sir Johnston Forbes-Robertson, and photographs illustrating Mr. Rogers' interesting article on "The Summer Naval Cruise" are also among the important photographic contributions of the issue.

There is a liberal leaven of light editorials dominating those with a more grave tone, the range of subjects sweeping from vendettas to evangelists. Mr. Davis' somewhat scholarly article on "The Study of Contemporary Literature in College" is an intelligent and comprehensive treatment.