NEW APPEALS FROM GRADUATES

LETTERS FAVORING ENLISTMENTS IN PREPAREDNESS WORK CONTINUE.

The CRIMSON has received several more letters from graduates urging enlistments in various forms of preparedness work as the Plattsburg Camp, the Naval Cruise, or the Flying Corps training school. The CRIMSON today prints four,--from Major-General Leonard Wood, M.D. '84, from T. W. Slocum '90, from J. W. Hallowell '01, and from Professor R. M. Johnston.

Harvard Enrolment is One-Tenth.

The enrollment of Harvard men for Plattsburg has been thus far very creditable. Nearly one-tenth of the ten thousand enrolled are Harvard men,--graduates and undergraduates. But we want more,--everyone that we can get. We want them not only for Oglethorpe and Plattsburg, but also for the Naval training course. I am not authorized to speak for this branch of the service, but I do hope the University will be well represented on board the ships. It is a fine opportunity. I trust the CRIMSON will do everything possible to build up interest in the Camps. We want to make the June, July and later camps, if possible, thoroughly successful. Very sincerely.   MAJOR-GENERAL LEONARD WOOD, M.D. '84.

Cruise Offers Great Advantages.

The number of Harvard men--graduates and students--that attended the Plattsburg Camp last year was greater than that from any other college.

The Camps this year are to be much larger, and there is also planned a Naval Training Cruise for Civilians, to start August 15 for four weeks.

There can be no possible question as to the desirability of these practical steps toward Preparedness. It is hoped that Harvard will hold the record again in both departments, and that undergraduates will do their share.

Where and how to apply is given out by Committees having the Camps and Cruise in charge.

As the Naval Cruise is new this year, it may be proper to quote from the circular given out by the Committee having charge of the New York District:

"Remarkable opportunity for a Summer Cruise on a dreadnaught taking part in the big battle manoeuvers of the Atlantic Fleet. A chance to see Battleships, Cruisers, Submarines, Torpedo-boats and Hydro-aeroplane in actual operation in a great naval war-game."  THOMAS W. SLOCUM '90,  Overseer.

Plattsburg Experience Is Beneficial.

If the man who went to one of the Plattsburg Camps last year is asked whether he benefited from the experience, the answer is invariably in the affirmative. This applies equally to the undergraduate and the graduate.

Harvard's record at these Camps was nothing more nor less than expected. If more men from Harvard than from any other institution in this country had not attended, the unexpected would have happened. It is a tradition that where service to country is involved, Harvard volunteers.

The military definition of volunteer is: "Any one who enters into service of his own accord; a person who, in time, of war, offers his services to his country." Why not also "in time of peace"?

Universal service and general military training are not made obligatory for us, but if we believe that in this free country of ours equality of opportunity and privilege should be coupled with an obligation to serve that country, and if we believe that the best preparation against war is preparation for it, should we not now "volunteer"?

The Plattsburg Camps and the Naval Training Course this summer offer Harvard men both the opportunity and the privilege of voluntary service for the country in the movement for preparedness now so well under way.  J. W. HALLOWELL '01.

Camps to Train Public Opinion.

The Plattsburg Camps crystallized what has been essentially a movement to educate public opinion. With the passing of the Reserve Officers' Act, and the colleges supporting preparedness by instituting military courses, the Camps will soon see developed a more complete system of preparation for the duties of an officer. The intelligent and energetic guidance of General Wood undoubtedly tends to the building up of a valid and thorough system of military education in which both Camp and College will play their parts. Such schemes cannot be improvised in a day, but meanwhile all who are able should be strongly urged to turn their faces towards Plattsburg if they can possibly spare the time. A patriotic duty calls them, and they will come back better men from what they will learn there.  PROF. R. M. JOHNSTON