Naval Cruise a Wise Innovation.

Communications

(We invite all men in the University to submit communications on subjects of timely interest, but assume no responsibility for sentiments expressed under this head.)

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

During the past few months, I have talked with a great many men on the subject of preparing themselves to be of real use to our country in case of need, and the great majority of them are willing and anxious to do their part. Some are best fitted by temperament, association, and previous experience, to take up some form of military training, while others for the same reasons prefer to take up a course of training, which would make them of value to our navy in the event of war.

Many people are entirely ignorant of the number of men that would be required by our navy in case of war. Not only is the present enlisted personnel of the navy entirely inadequate to man the ships we now have, but in time of emergency it is estimated that the navy would at once require upwards of 150,000 additional officers and men to fill gaps in the first line ships, to man the numerous auxiliary vessels which would have to be pressed into service, and to perform a multitude of other necessary duties in connection with our naval establishment.

Where are these men coming from? What have we to fall back upon?

Our Naval Militia is a fine body of men; well officered and well trained, but there are not over 7,000 men enrolled in

the Naval Militia, and it is estimated that not over 5,000 of them would be immediately available. Our naval reserve, consisting of ex-enlisted men, at present numbers not over a very few hundred. There are a considerable number of men in civil life, who have served in the navy, who might re-enlist, and a comparatively small number of United States citizens, who have followed a sea-faring life, and who would be useful if they should offer their services in time of war. That is all.

In talking over the subject of naval versus military training, a considerable number of men have told me that they were going in for military training because it was less technical and could be learned more quickly and easily. If they are right it is the very strongest argument for men of intelligence, and men who have followed a trade or profession which would help to make them useful in the navy, to take a course in naval training.

The mere fact that it takes longer to train naval reserves than military reserves, makes it necessarily important to train them well in advance.

Without wishing in any way to detract from the importance of building up our military reserves, it is universally recognized that the navy is and probably always will be, our first line of defence and as such should be brought up to the highest possible point of efficiency.

The army has a well-established, well-advertised training school in the Plattsburg military camps. The navy is to have a training cruise this year with the same purpose in view. Men who go on this cruise will be given a knowledge of routine duties and discipline on board a warship and have opportunity to take special courses of instruction as well. According to well-posted naval officers, a man who takes this course of training will be worth ten green men, and if he attends future courses of training and makes a study of naval matters, there is no more effective way that he can serve his country.  JOHN L. SALTONSTALL,  Chairman, First District Committee,  Naval Training Cruise for Civilians