BASEBALL PLAYERS OF 1866 WILL RETURN TO WILLIAMS

Fiftieth Anniversary of Men Who Played First Intercollegiate Game to be Celebrated.

When the class of 1866 of Williams College returns to Williamstown, two weeks hence, for its fiftieth reunion, Faculty, and friends will look with admiring awe upon the surviving members of the team which won the first intercollegiate baseball game ever played. Modern Williams players will be instigated to emulate the example of these pioneers of the national pastime, the victors over Harvard by a score of 12 to 9 in the Lexington of the college game.

Following is an account of the game, taken from the 1910 "Gul," headed "Ancient History," and signed "First Base":

"'Play ball!' said the umpire, but that was something we seemed loath to do. The bats seemed heavy and the ball escaped us on the field, and our throwing was wild. Then suddenly our captain called the bunch together and said: 'Boys, you're not making history very fast, and if you don't wake up now and play ball, I'll forfeit the game!' We awoke and played ball. Our batters found the ball and put it out of commission, while the runners passed over the bags. The score was tied, and then Williams forged ahead--12 to 9--striker out!

"Now for the final with Harvard at bat. A ball long-driven was met on the bound, and a wild, high throw to first was received in the air with a jump and a reach, just in time to put the runner out. The next victim fanned the air. A third went to the plate with a stately tread. It was a sky-rocket, not long but high. That little black sphere in the center of the big shining orb was coming down to mother earth, but it never struck because Orrin Day (second baseman) was in the way. The impact knocked him over, but he held up the ball and the game was won. . . ."