DR. RAND FINDS ENGLAND READY TO FIGHT TO FINISH

First Hand Survey of Present Situation Shows English Efficiency Superior.

Dr. Benjamin Rand '79, librarian in charge of the Philosophical library in the University, returned from England last Wednesday by the Cunard liner "Adriana."

He had been allowed by the British Foreign Office to investigate the work which the nation was doing in its efforts to bring the war to a successful conclusion. When interviewed in New York as to his impressions, Dr. Rand was quoted as follows:

"In what was seen it was possible to obtain an outlook and a certainty in regard to the future of this great war which it would not be possible to gain in any other way. It strengthened me in the belief of the determination of the English nation to pursue the war to complete and conclusive victory, Ample proof was given that the English, rather than the Germans, are the efficient race. The former have raised and equipped an army in two years with a perfection which excels what the latter has been able to do in a decade. The entire equipment of transportation from the munition plants to the front has been made with a thoroughness that must challenge the admiration of the most experienced.

"In the magnitude and the multiplicity of the problems which have been solved a task has been performed greater perhaps than has ever fallen to a nation in so brief a time. Financial problems too have been met by England of a character such as has never heretofore been dreamed of.

"It is not alone the splendid equipment, the quantity of munitions, the greatness of ordnance and the strength of the navy to be seen in England which spell victory for the Allies. Far more is it in the morale of the people. They are united for one purpose. It is a nation and not merely a government that is at war. There is a settled and unalterable determination to carry this war to a conclusive peace.

"Germany even today little knows the strength of purpose aroused in the English people. There is no outward excitement, and no visible anxiety. One might even suppose there was lacking a consciousness of the tremendous issues at stake. Such is the English way. But Germany will yet awake to discover her folly when she aroused the British lion into action.

"It is a time which demands united sacrifice and every class in England is making it. Nowhere is this more apparent than in organized labor.

"The attack on the Somme may be regarded as the turning point of the war. The period of preparation will now be succeeded by a continued offensive. The evidence is unmistakable that the war is entering upon a final and triumphant phase for the Allies. The long and glorious resistance of the French at Verdun has been relieved. The Germans can no longer press the Russians in the east or the Austrians seriously threaten the Italians in the south. The big push is on."

Dr. Rand said that one of the striking incidents of the Summer in London was the burning of the Zeppelin in the last raid. Its destruction by an aeroplane, he believes, will serve as a stimulus for future attacks by the cheaper and lighter craft. The Zeppelin raids in England he regards as a conspicuous failure in a military way. Dr. Rand commented on the strength of the English patrol service as being particularly noteworthy.