LEAVES OF ABSENCE GRANTED BY FACULTY

New Appointments Made and Gifts Totalling $155,510 Acknowledged at Last Meeting.

At the last meeting of the President and Fellows, Maurice De Wulf, of the University of Louvain was appointed Lecturer on Philosophy for 1916-17. Professor George Fillmore Swain was granted leave of absence for 1916-17, while Assistant Professor Theodore Lyman was given leave of absence for the last, half of the coming academic year.

Gifts amounting to $155,510 were accepted, the largest being $111,370 from the estate of Gordon McKay. Another important gift was from the estate of Samuel C. Cobb, $30,000, on account of one-fifth part of the residuum of his estate "to be kept as a fund, but not requiring it to be invested as a special fund, of which the income only shall be used and applied towards the payment of the college dues of students in that university during their freshman and sophomore years, in such manner and for such deserving students as the faculty shall deem best."

The following appointments were announced:

Assistants: Joseph Wylie MacNaugher, in Chemistry; Edwin Martin Chamberlain, in Education; Floyd Henry Allport, in Philosophy and Psychology; Raphael Demos, Daniel Sommer Robinson, Robert Linley Murray Underhill, Wesley Raymond Wells, in Philosophy; Christian Nusbaum, James Beebee Brinsmade, Irvine Clifton. Gardner, Arman Edward Becker, Charles Grover Smith, in Physics.