ITHACANS PREPARE TO MEET UNIVERSITY IN B. A. A. GAMES

CORNELL TO ADVOCATE THREE-MILE RACE AT POUGHKEEPSIE.--PENN'S NEW BOAT MADE BY DAVY.--TRACK MEN NOW BUSY AT PROVIDENCE.

Coach Moakley of the Cornell track team is sorting out his material in the shorter runs for the purpose of developing a one-mile relay team to meet the University in the games of the Boston Athletic Association February 3. Moakley is hopeful of turning out a team this year that will stand a fair chance of defeating the Crimson, thereby taking revenge for defeats of the past two years. He has some fairly good material which in the last few weeks has been developing consistently.

Among the most likely quarter-milers for this team are Acheson and Crim. The former has hitherto given most of his time to hurdling, but Moakley thinks that he should develop into a pretty good quarter-miler. He is a big, rangy fellow and has rigged physique. W. D. Crim, the best quarter-miler of the outfit, is being hard pressed by Acheson in the two and one-half lap races on the board track. Crim is showing up well this winter, though he is not as good on the boards as on the cinders. Another likely candidate for this team is Bartsch, a 220 man who has shown promise for the last two years, while Fritz Shiverick, the football captain, may also win a place. Shiverick has only been out for a short time, but he is doing good work in the short dashes and looks like one of the most dependable sprinters in Moakley's collection.

A number of football men reported to Moakley this week including Miller, Gillies and Jewett of the university line and W. S. McCormick, substitute tackle. The latter last spring was one of the best of the hammer throwers, but up to this time Jewett, with a heave of 135 feet has led them all.

Courtney Favors Short Race

There have been no changes in the personnel of the university crews this week and none is expected for a time. Coach Collyer says the boatings are for the purpose of getting several likely looking combinations used to each other and getting them rowing together. None will be chosen as the university crew until after the inlet breaks up and outdoor practice begins. That is at least a month off.

Cushing and Worn, two of last year's university crew, have not yet come out, but are expected to report after the beginning of the second term next month. The same is true of Lund, a university oarsman of two years ago, who did not complete the season last fall.

Cornell's representative on the board of stewards, Charles E. Treman, is expected to give approval of a plan to reduce the course at Poughkeepsie from four to three miles, if such a plan comes before the stewards at the meeting next week. Though Coach Courtney and Cornell rowing men generally favor reducing the length of the race--some of them to two miles--Cornell is not likely to initiate a movement to bring it about, but will support the plan if it is put forward by some other steward.

No "C" for Managers

A proposition to award the university letter to managers of major sport teams has aroused so much opposition in undergraduate circles that the Athletic Council deemed it wise to postpone action until the matter could be further studied. Both senior societies have come out strongly against the plan, on the ground that the "C" should be given for athletics only, and for nothing else. The proposal has also been condemned by the Cornell Sun, representing the undergraduate body. As the managers who would be benefited by the plan hold seats on the Council, a determined effort is likely to be make to put the deal through. In view of so much opposition, however, it is doubtful if the program can succeed.

New Shell Ordered for Penn

Pennsylvania oarsmen have ordered a new eight-oared shell from Davy, the boat builder of Cambridge. It will be of the swivel type and will embody a number of Coach Wright's own ideas. Last year Pennsylvania used the tholepin, but Wright has had more experience with the swivel, having been accustomed to this type of rigging when coaching the Argonaut Club of Canada. At present it is planned to let the oarsmen have two weeks practice on the Delaware before leaving for the final bit of training at Poughkeepsie. In this way Wright believes he will accustom the men to rough water. At Pennsylvania they attribute the poor showing of the Quaker crew to the fact that it encountered rough water during the intercollegiate regatta.

Sport on Skiis at Dartmouth

The Outing Club of Dartmouth has invited more than 160 colleges to take part in the winter sports carnival which will be held February 8 to 10. a number of events have been added to the customary program this yea. The activities will begin with a hockey game between Dartmouth and Bishop's College of Canada, and from the rink the spectators will proceed to the golf course, where the first events of the intercollegiate ski and snowshoe contests will be held. Among the novelty ski events will be an obstacle race, an interclass ski relay, a 220-yard dash on skiis, and a snowshoe race at the same distance. There will also be a cross-country ski race.

Brown Rich in Track Material.

Indications at Brown point to one of the best track teams of recent years. The squad now numbers 140 men, and Coach Hahn expects to uncover some excellent new material, J. M. Williams is considered one of the most promising of the short distance men. Anna, one of the football team, also has shown pronounced ability. He is at present performing well in the pole vault and promises to be one of the best of the broad jumpers. Both of these men are of the first-year class. Other freshmen who are expected to prove of value are Palmer, Crouch, Carr, Dealey and Gibbing in the mile; Beasley in the two-mile, Hunter in the high jump, Besser, and Shubert in the quarter-mile, Jackson in the sprints, and Shaw and Sinclair in the weight events. Fred Pollard, the football star, who was a capable performer over the hurdles a year ago, has been unable to report for track work as yet owing to illness. It is expected, however, that he will be able to compete in the B. A. A. games. Fred Broks, a promising sprinter of two years ago, has returned to college after an absence of one year and will be a big addition to the team.

Yale Swordsmen to be Busy

Yale has secured A. Bortili to develop the fencing team. He was formerly coach at Annapolis. The fencing schedule for the Blue this season includes, in addition to the intercollegiate competition, matches with the Springfield Y. M. C. A. College, Bowdoin, Columbia, Annapolis, Pennsylvania and the University.