NEW EVENT ON SCHEDULE

WINTER PRACTICE STARTS

Training for the University and Freshman track men for the winter relay races and indoor meets will commence with regular practice on the 130-yard board track and in the baseball cage this afternoon at 2.30 o'clock. New and old men will report at that time at the Locker Building.

The four and a half weeks of training before the first races in the Mechanics Building on February 3 will be unbroken and will consist of practice runs on the board track on Soldiers Field and occasional time trials in Boston. At this meet the long distance relay team will race Yale as usual, each man running 780 yards, and the short distance team will oppose Cornell, each man running 390 yards. A third race will be the short distance relay between the Freshman team and Yale 1920. The University has defeated Yale in the annual long distance relay race for seven succeeding years. Last year W. J. Bingham '16 crossed the line one yard in the lead.

The next meet in which the University runners will take part will be the triangular meet with Pennsylvania and Dartmouth on February 17. This is a new event on the winter schedule and promises some very close races, as Pennsylvania has its usual strong teams this year. The events that will make up this meet are the 40-yard dash, 45-yard hurdles, 390-yard relay, 780-yard run, mile run, high jump, shot put and probably the pole vault and broad jump.

Interclass Relays Planned.

Arrangements are now being made for a series of interclass relay races before the B. A. A. meet, and time trials in order to pick the teams.

It is not yet certain whether or not the one-mile relay race with Pennsylvania, which the latter team won last year, will be held again this year. In case it is scheduled, it will take place at Hartford, Conn., about February 21.

As there seems to be a scarcity of field material, special attention will be given to developing field men for the winter and spring meets. New lighting facilities are to be installed in the baseball cage, so that late afternoon practice will be made possible.

Weekly competitions in the high jump, broad jump, shot put and pole vault will be held as usual. The men who have the highest averages in these events will be awarded prizes at the end of the season.