FIRST CLASS DEBATE TONIGHT

1919 Will Meet 1921 in Sever.--Pasteur Preliminaries Tomorrow.

The first of the interclass debates will be held this evening in Sever 11 at seven o'clock, at which time the Freshman and the Junior teams will argue the following question: "Resolved, that in the light of recent events, the Monroe Doctrine has been rendered obsolete and should be abolished." The Freshmen will support the negative and the Juniors the affirmative. The Sophomores, taking the affirmative of the same question, will debate with the Seniors at the same hour and place Wednesday evening. The finals of the inter-class series will be held a week from today.

The preliminary contest for the Pasteur Medal will be held tomorrow in Sever 11 at eight o'clock. This medal is offered each year by Baron Pierre de Coubertin for the best speech in English upon some topic of contemporary French politics. The subject this year is: "Resolved, that the French government should take by taxation at least 75 per cent of the excess profits made by French manufacturers and tradesmen during the war."

The arrangements for this contest are entirely in the hands of the French department of the University and the Debating Council, under whose joint auspices the prize is offered. Candidates may make a five-minute speech on either side of the question.