FRENCH ROOM OPENED YESTERDAY

Opportunity Given Members of University to Study the Language.

The French Room opened yesterday in Matthews 5 under the supervision of L. J. a. Mercier and E. L. Raiche. Its object will be to offer to all members of the University, but mainly to R. O. T. C. cadets, an opportunity to supplement and increase their knowledge of French, preparatory to military service abroad. Men who expect to enter the army or navy before the end of the academic year will be able to secure instruction.

The room will probably be open from 9 o'clock in the morning until sometime in the evening. During this time, students may come in and study, or read the French magazines and newspapers which will be provided. One or two instructors will be nearly always on hand to assist men in their studying.

Such instruction would be primarily for students who are taking regular college courses in French. For men who for various reasons are unable to work a French course into their schedule, special classes will be held in the evening. Dr. A. F. Whittem will probably conduct these two or three times a week at 7 o'clock.