MAY LOWER DRAFT AGE TO 19

Opinions of Members of Congress Given to Yale News Vary; Three Claim War Dept. Wants Change.

During the past week the Yale News has secured many letters from members of Congress, who either opposed or favored the proposed resolution of lowering the draft age frm 21 to 19 years. The general feeling seemed to be against it, although several Senators and Representatives came out strongly for such a change. A summary of the communications shows that 42 opposed the measure and 24 favored it.

A significant fact, nevertheless, it that three men mention the belief that the War Department wants to call the younger men. "I believe it will be lowered to 19 on account of the opinions held by the War Department," wrote Senator Kirby of Arkansas. Representative Mott of New York thinks that "military authorities are unanimous in maintaining that it should be as low as that." Hon. Bertrand H. Snell thinks that the younger men will be called for training but will not be sent across the water until they are 21.

According to Senator Ramsay of Illinois, who voiced the opinion of many, "It will not be necessary to lower the draft age at the present time to 19. We have 10,000,000 men registered, and if half of them are eligible physically and in other respects, this will be as many men as we will need for a year or two."