What Do You Mean, Neutrality?

Communication

(We invite all men in the University to submit communications on subjects of timely interest, but assume no responsibility for sentiments expressed under this head.)

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Not to be outdone by the bloodthirsty and militaristic propaganda of the Officers' Training Corps, the more peaceful members of the University have now organized the "Harvard Union for American Neutrality." Its platform is replete with long-exploded sentiments of brotherly love, sentiments worthy of Mr. Bryan or the Kaiser's agents--in America. It asks Mr. Wilson to use "thoughtful deliberation rather than hasty or injudicious action." To those who keep in mind the previous policies of the President, this portion of the platform seems rather useless. The most rabid Republican would never accuse him of being hasty or injudicious in making war on foreign nations. And again we are informed that "there is general misunderstanding and unnecessary alarm." This assertion is ridiculcus. At no time have the press and public been calmer in the face of war, or given greater evidence of self-control. This body of patriots does not desire a war "from which we have nothing to gain." This lamentable fact is undoubtedly true. We would win no territorial acquisitions, no pecuniary indemnities. Small matters, like outrages upon American lives and property and national honor are not considered worthy of mention by pacifists. The entire platform, covered by a cloak of doubtful patriotism, is but an ingenious and dangerous summary of the sentiments of the "peace at any price" American.

No loyal American wants war when an honorable peace can exist. At this critical time the President is backed against the wall by the insidious perfidy of a foreign nation. He is not overwhelmed by telegrams demanding war, though millions believe that it is the only honorable course to pursue; he is swamped with peace appeals from well-organized German and "peace at any price" societies. The nation knows that Woodrow Wilson will not declare war unless it is the last resort. He should be left unhampered by the doubtful exhortations of pacifists. If Mr. Wilson decides that we must have war, let us have war, and let us help crush the violator of all rights, human and divine. If he can give us an honorable peace, let us thank God for his mercy. It is indeed deplorable that at this time, when patriotism should be at its highest, such an organization, its sentiments so alien to the past ideals of the University and its present patriotic record, should come before the public, bearing the name "Harvard." The "Slap the Other Cheek Club," the "Anti-American Society" or the "Pro-German Union," would be more fitting appellations. Thus far, the movement has been cloaked with anonymity. I am sure that the University would be pleased to see the publication of its roster. ROGER BATCHELDER '18.