PENN. EDUCATORS FAVOR UNIVERSAL TRAINING

Professors Think System Should be Adopted and Five Come Out Against It.

The Pennsylvanian has been publishing from day to day the opinions of the prominent members of the faculty of the University of Pennsylvania on the question of universal military training. So far the statements have been by a large majority favorable to the adoption of such a system, 17 deans and professors stating emphatically their approval of the step, while five come out as opposed to it. Not all of the 17 believe in a military course at the university, but all agree as to its general need and the opportunities for physical development that it offers. Two of the professors who oppose it admit its value physically.

Dean McClellan, of the Wharton School made the most interesting statement. He said:

"A certain amount of military training would modify in a very valuable way the individualistic characteristics of the American man. It is, of course, desirable that no part of the productive period of a man's life be used for this purpose, which would point to doing it as a part of the educational system of the country.

"I can see no danger of its increasing the military spirit. It would be extremely valuable because it would increase the respect of the citizen for team work and joint effort; it would show him the necessity of having method in connection with effort of any kind."