ENROLMENT IN YALE RESERVE OFFICERS' CORPS COMPLETED

TWO BATTERIES TO BE FORMED FOR THOROUGH WORK UNDER NEW TRAINING LAW.--PROFESSOR BRECKINRIDGE ASKS FOR INDUSTRIAL PREPAREDNESS.

The enlistments in the Yale Reserve Officers' Training Corps now total 154 and the enrolment has been brought up to the desired number. It is intended to divide the men into two batteries of equal strength and thorough work is expected from units of this size. Training will be started immediately.

In regard to the duties and obligations involved in joining the Corps, it is expected that those who enroll will pursue the whole of the course to completion. As the important purpose of the Corps is to qualify reserve officers, it is desired that a student who enrolls for the course does so only if he can say that, barring unforseen necessity or circumstance, it is his intention to complete the course and accept a reserve commission from the President.

At the end of the second year, the student may sign the following contract, if he desires to secure the Government compensation allowed by law and which amounts to an aggregate of from $160 to $200 for the remaining two years' course:

"In consideration of commutation and subsistence to be furnished me in accordance with law, I hereby agree to continue in the Reserve Officers' Training Corps during the remainder of my course in . . . . . . . . (Institution), to devote five hours per week during such period to the military training prescribed, and to pursue the courses of camp training during such periods prescribed by the Secretary of War."

Training Not Compulsory.

The Yale News outlines as follows the further obligations of those who enter the course:

"Further than this obligation, which is terminated by a necessary or unforeseen separation from the institution, or by failure in the course, and by his expressed intention, entered into at the beginning of the course, that he will complete it unless prevented by unforeseen necessity or circumstance, the student is not bound. He cannot be called or held for military service except as any other citizen might be called or held.

"On satisfactorily completing the course the student is expected to accept a commission. In doing so he shall agree to serve the United States in the 'capacity of a reserve officer of the army during a period of at least ten years from the date of his appointment as such reserve officer, unless sooner discharged by proper authority.'

"To the extent provided for from time to time by appropriations for this specific purpose the Secretary of War is authorized to order reserve officers to duty with troops, or at field exercises or for instruction, for periods not to exceed 15 days in any one calendar year, and while so serving such officers shall receive the pay allowed to their respective grades in the Regular Army."

First Year Under New Law.

"This year will be the first one in which this law becomes operative. While a definite and positive statement cannot be made, it is expected that reserve officers will be asked by the commanding general of the Military Department in which they reside, the time that would be most convenient for them to leave their business for the required 15 days' instruction. An unusual effort will be made to suit entirely the convenience of the officer concerned. At any rate, in cases of absolute necessity an officer always has the privilege of submitting his resignation.

"Other than this requirement a reserve officer can be ordered out by the President only in time of actual or threatened hostilities."

"It would be difficult to make the duties and obligations any lighter, and still have a trustworthy and dependable corps of instructed officers in case of war."

Economic Preparedness for Yale.

The spirit of industrial, as well as military, preparedness has also been given an impetus at Yale. Professor Breckinridge, of the Sheffield Scientific School, has made the following statement in regard to helping the Government in its scientific experiments:

"In a recent issue of the Yale News the suggestion was made that Yale can carry on certain scientific experiments for the United States Government. These suggestions are valuable ones and have aroused keen interest in the scientific circles of the University. To do such work would assuredly be a step toward national preparedness and with the cooperation of colleges and Government many problems would be cleared that now confront the nation.

"I believe, however, that Yale with other large universities should investigate conditions of wider scope. Experiments of general industrial problems would have more direct influence for universal preparedness, to say nothing of the actual betterment of peace conditions.

"It is essential to realize that the war of today is not only a war between men on the flring line but a supreme test of industrial capacity and economy at home, of science and the application of science to the every-day routine. As was the case with England before the war so it is the case with this country today. England had the navy and the actual fighting machine, but unlike Germany she had nothing with which to supply that machine. America until now has been living off her vast natural resources without much regard or thought to the future. If we can manage to become a scientifically economic nation in the time of peace--which means a radical change in the present conditions--then I say we will be on the true road to a sound and lasting preparedness.

Yale's Facilities Excellent.

"Yale, with her engineering laboratories and extensive equipments for experiment is prepared for higher grade investigation in both the fields of science and applied science. The opportunities in this field are unlimited. If the nation and its universities could learn how much co-operation between the industries and laboratories would mean, there would be a revolution of incalculable value to science, to business, and to government.

"The colleges of this country have a large role to play in the coming struggle--whether it be actual war or peaceful competition. I can not emphasize too strongly this fact. We must be a strong country in the industrial as well as the martial world. We must conserve more and more of our natural resources and we must apply all our scientific knowledge to get the maximum output with minimum labor fatigue. Our universities can be the first to promote this nation-wide movement. Yale can be a leader of industrial preparedness just as it has been among the foremost in military preparedness. The combination of the two is the only true national service."